2.19.2011

Two Bucket Style...

So this here is my own personal recipe for a nice, lightweight tip up expedition.  Two buckets, filled to the brim, and you have everything you need, except a shelter, which I guess on windy days might come in real handy for sure. On second thought, I guess this also leaves you armed with only a hand auger, and that can leave you with some seriously tired arms, but once again, you still have all of the absolute bare necessities at hand.
Eight inch auger, check. I am using an HT Polar Auger.  It ain't perfect, but it is definitely light and it gets the job done.   Vexilar, check.  I have the FL-18 Genz Pack, no bells and whistles here, but it is (relatively) cheap, and, it's both light and extremely functional. 
Also included in my load out pictured here, one nice insulated styrofoam minnow bucket that fits all snug into a five gallon bucket, and I have that outfitted with a Frabill aerator to keep those minnows all lively and kicking for days.  In the picture up top,  I have three Frabill ten inch insulated tip ups stacked on top of the minnow bucket, with my sweet old coffee mug floating around on top of those... I've also got one Berkley tip up, stuffed into my other bucket, just in case.
So as for all of the other  miscellaneous gear , I also pack a big 'ol Frabill ice scoop, complete with a 36" measuring stick on the handle,  it is handy for positive ID.  Also included is a small tackle box with extra pimples, hooks, bobbers, weights, and leaders.   Pliers and jaw spreaders are a must for the big fish fishin, I can't be without these. Two rods fit nicely in the bucket, just in case you would rather be jigging, instead of just sitting around, waiting for your tip ups to go.
I had ordered what was described as a "fish-safe" gaff hook, thinking it would be all smooth and good to go.  When it arrived, however, I discovered that it was nothing more than a  huge sharpened treble hook welded onto the end of a steel shaft.  Not so "fish-safe".  I decided to  hack off the sharpened treble, and replaced it with a nice homemade brazed treble, all nicely rounded and smooth.  The rest of the gear I have loaded up here includes my thermos, (a nice small one to save room), a couple of packs of hand-warmers (just in case), and a camera in a (somewhat) waterproof case as well.


No comments: