2.13.2011

More Gear Talk...

Its all pretty simple, ice fishing gear, at least the ice fishing gear I prefer to use. A few different rod and reel set ups, and a couple of different tip up rigs. But I guess ice fishing is absolutely no different than everything else in the fishing world, in that there are seemingly millions of different tools, tactics and techniques at your disposal for each and every unique situation you might happen to find yourself in.
I have three different rod and reel combos that I use fairly regularly, each set up a slight bit differently than the others.   I'll get around to all the tip-ups in a later post.
I use an Ugly Stick wound with 20lb. braided line, tipped with a decent steel leader and finished off with a pretty big Swedish pimple.  Obviously, this rig is geared for the more aggressive fish, northern and muskie.
I also have a cheap little sporting goods store special combo, set up with 4 or 6 lb. mono on the spool, a sponge bobber and topped off with a basic Swedish pimple, not too big, not too small.  It's not the most sensitive rod, not a lot of finesse there, but it seems to work well on everything just the same.


I have saved the best for last. My absolute favorite setup, though, is something that is truly special.  This rig here is absolutely tangible proof of the age old adage, "you get what you pay for".  This is the whole reason I wanted to write about gear.

This beauty here is hand crafted by Scott Fox of Fox Custom Rods, located right here in Minneapolis, and I can tell you that this rod is absolutely magical.  Not only is it beautiful, but it is absolutely deadly as well. Perfectly sensitive and amazingly strong, it is the ultimate secret weapon in my arsenal for sure. Finicky crappies, no problem. Big 'ol ornery pike, absolutely. (I landed a 35" northern on this rig not two weeks ago...)  They might be a bit spendy for some folks, but after using this, I am definitely a bit hesitant to pick up anything else when I find myself fishing rod and reel through a hole in the ice. Right here is where  I need to give a quick shout out to Patty, who had given this rod to me as a gift  in the first place. It has definitely upped the ante in my own extremely limited knowledge of ice fishing.  Thanks for the rod bud, and Scott, thank you for the exquisite craftsmanship and love that you have poured into these.


No comments: