8.09.2008

Fatties All Around....




So I finally broke my slump and landed a nice fish, despite a whole mess of tangled lines and messed up rods. Here's how I remember it.... Brandon had hooked into a big ol' fish ten minutes earlier and it was givin' him a real nice fight. Then it decided to run in hot and ended up wrappin' the line around the others that were still in the water. After gettin' him up and off the hook, we snapped a couple of pics, let em go, and tried to undo the rats nest we had been left with. The jokes about getting a monster fish while everything was still all tangled up were out there, and we just tried to get it all straightened out as fast as possible. We were slowly making our way through it, and all of the sudden one of the rods started bending toward the water. I snatched it up and felt the heavy swimmin' on the other end, so I gave her hell and set the hook. I reeled two or three times, and then it just stopped. I tried again and nothin'. I looked up and saw that I had probably twenty yards of line from three different poles all wrapped up around the tip of my rod and pulled down into my reel by now. I could still feel the fish swimmin' so I dropped the pole and grabbed the line and stated pullin' it in by hand. It was comin' in super easy so figured it was on the small side, and I just kept pullin'. I got it right under me and hoisted it up and out of the water, it was all wrapped in line and hooked only through the whisker....And it was hooked with a line that was not the line that I set in the first place. If that can give you any idea as to just how tangled our lines were, I managed to set a hook on a line that wasn't even tied to the hook that ended up in the fish. That is some luck, I ain't gonna lie, but hey, in a pinch, I'll take it anyway I can get it.
I think this picture sort of illustrates both the mess of lines we had on our hands and the lucky ass hookset I managed to get. The green line was the line that I set the hook with....


These are the two that Andy and Brandon had caught the night before, all from different parts of the river. So, fatties all around, I guess.

No comments: